RAFAEL NADAL FORUM

Un forum complet dédié au numéro 2 mondial Rafael Nadal ainsi qu'à tous les autres joueurs du circuit ATP.
Pour tous les amoureux et passionnés de tennis.

Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache
Voir le deal
64.99 €

Doubles vision

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
Aller à la page : 1, 2, 3  Suivant
Auteur Message

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie
Féminin Localisation : MC Bay

Membre n° : 4

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 19:48

"Le double? hein quoi? ah oui les couloirs ils comptent c'est ça?"
Venez, apprenez à connaitre au travers des billets des differentes équipes ce monde amusant où l'on vit tout à deux!! Deux fois plus d'histoires, deux fois plus de rires, deux fois plus de gossips!!!
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 19:53

Doubles Vision - The Dating Game

by Stephen Huss
At Home, San Diego, U.S.A.

Doubles vision C9cf467f867a4c0fab02ea6
© Getty Images
Stephen Huss (left) has broken up with former partner Ross Hutchings (net).

In his debut post for our new Doubles Vision blog, Wimbledon doubles champion Stephen Huss talks about the sensitive issue of partner swapping.

I often get asked by people, ‘How do you decide whom to play doubles with?’. Well, after the recent US Open I find myself looking for a new partner. My partner Ross Hutchins and I decided to stop playing together as we were struggling to win matches ever since the grass court season. We actually played some good matches and put ourselves in plenty of positions to win but were not able to convert when the time came. So we agreed to part ways and try to build our confidence back with someone else.

Finding a doubles partner is not always easy and has several parallels to dating. Think about it… you are trying to find somebody that you gel with so you can win matches and move up the rankings. This often involves speaking to, emailing or messaging several players and trying it out at a tournament or two. Some players are serial daters, as I have been (unfortunately) for a lot of my doubles career. It is not always easy to find a player that is willing to stick together unless you get immediate success and so you get ‘dumped’ and are back out to find another partner.

I have played nine Australian Opens with nine different partners! This year at the French Open my fellow Doubles Vision blogger James Cerretani (read his blog) agreed to play with one guy; they practised together and then for some reason he decided at the last minute to play with someone else. That’s like taking a girl out for a drink and moving on when you see a hotter one at the bar! Another player has been known to show up some weeks having agreed to play with more than one guy, talk about playing the field! He is such a good guy and just basically says yes to anyone who asks him and probably forgets which week he’s playing with whom.

Some guys are just the opposite; they’re like being married to one another. A relatively new team on tour, Brunstrom/Rojer stick together no matter what, even when they could split and have one guy play a tour event, they prefer to play a Challenger together. Some teams that were married end in a divorce… Knowles/Nestor played for 10 years together very successfully but now they play with different partners. Same deal with the Indians, Bhupathi/Paes who played in all Grand Slam finals in 1999, an amazing performance.

I was at one tournament where Tommy Robredo walked into doubles sign in with 5 minutes to go, had a look at the list and then asked who a certain player was and what he looked like. The ATP tour manager pulled up the guy's picture from the ATP web page, Tommy looked at it and said, ‘Ok I play with him. Sign us in.' So there is another way to find a partner and one that is more frequently used by the singles players who choose to play doubles at the last minute.

My first tour event win in Casablanca only came about because Mark Merklein decided at the last minute not to make the trip from USA to play with Myles Wakefield. Myles chose to play with me in the last half hour before sign in closed and we ended up winning the tournament. In contrast, a couple of months before Wimbledon 2005 I made a list of people who I thought I could be successful with and planned to make my way down the list as the rejections came back. Luckily the guy at the top of my list, Wesley Moodie, agreed to play so I was set up early. We won our two matches in qualifying and then six more to take the title!

Some guys are an ‘on and off’ pairing. Probably my closest friend on tour, Ashley Fisher, and I have played together on and off since 2002 and shown the ability to have great results, like the Miami final this year, but also lose first round in several Challengers.

Playing doubles with different guys is good fun as you get to know more guys and experience different things with different people from all the world but the bottom line is we all want to be hugely successful out here and the best way to do that is to have one solid partner to complement and support. I am pumped to be playing with a good friend Scott Lipsky over the next couple of weeks in Asia to see how that goes and then I will play with Jeff Coetzee in Europe to finish the year. If all goes well I will have stopped ‘dating’ by the end of the year and have a permanent partner for next year.

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:00

Doubles Vision - Which Way To Berlin Airport?

by James Cerretani
Bucharest, Romania

Doubles vision C05771a04961484fa73af54
© ATP
James Cerretani and Lucas Arnold Ker

Hello everyone and welcome to Doubles Vision, the ATP's new and candid behind-the-scenes coverage of life on tour from the perspective of Doubles Players! My name is James Cerretani (aka "JC"), and I’m excited to be authoring this introductory blog live from Bucharest, Romania, site of this week's BCR Open ATP Event.

This is my 2nd year playing in Bucharest, and already I have seen some major improvements in this year's event. Notably, the player hotel has been upgraded to a 5 Star Hotel, player transport has been smooth and timely, and the player lounges are drastically cleaner, more comfortable and spacious than last year. Clearly, the tournament has made an effort to provide a 1st class experience for the ATP players and staff. Big shout out to the organisers for that!!

In my 1st blog, I am going to share with you a story from my traveling experience to Bucharest this week, hoping to shed light on the rigors that accompany being an ATP Touring Pro. Traveling is a catch 22 of sorts for players on the ATP World Tour. It is surely one of the perks of the job, as we get to see lots of exotic places and experiences, various cultures, cuisines and ideologies. Conversely however, the traveling itself can be an unexpected nightmare. And this is exactly the situation I found myself in during last Friday's trip from Szczecin, Poland to Bucharest, Romania. It was an adventure, time was of the essence and our fate was left in the hands of our unassuming taxi driver... here's a quick breakdown on how one of the Worst Taxi Drivers in the World almost caused us to miss our flight to Bucharest.

Friday, September 18, 2009. SZCZECIN, POLAND

5:00am: Wake-up call alarms, startles me out of my sleep... I’m exhausted and want to sleep more. But I get up anyway, do a little last minute packing, go downstairs and check out.

5:25am: Jean-Julien Rojer (Aka "Juls"), is in the lobby, and is already chatting with friends on-line back home. Soon, Lucas Arnold Ker (Aka "Arni") sleepwalks out of the elevator as well. The three of us are exhausted, and can’t wait to relax in the taxi during the 2 hour ride to Berlin airport (Szczecin has only a small regional airport, so we took a flight from Berlin, Germany instead).

5:30am: We are awake too early to enjoy the hotel breakfast (Polish food is some of my personal favourite in the world, so that was disappointing). So we eat a few breakfast pastries in the lobby before we leave. They were epic.

5:45am: Taxi arrives. We all jump in, and set off for Berlin. Our flight departs @ 9:25am, giving us ample time to arrive, check in and relax before our flight. Soon enough, we are en route...

For the next 2 hours or so....
Lucas is riding "shotgun", going in and out of naps, while Juls and I are chilling out in the back seat (it was a "Soccer Mom Van" style taxi). Juls and I haven’t seen each other lately, so we are chatting it up the whole time. We talked about any recent drama with girlfriends, the challenges of playing with a new doubles partner, the value of having a partner that you have experience with, and how much we enjoy our limited off-time in Miami.

Everything is going smoothly, according to plan it seemed. Then...
7:40am: Juls and I notice that Lucas is wide awake now, and alertly staring at our Taxi Driver, clearly disturbed by something. Lucas starts complaining in Spanish to Juls (I don’t speak Spanish), that our driver has been going 80 km/h on the highway (speed limit is 100 km/h), cars are whizzing by us, and he has only been in 3rd gear the entire time!! Juls and I start laughing hysterically in the back seat @ Lucas, who still looks disgusted at our taxi driver's performance. His facial expression was priceless.

7:43am: I look up @ the clock, it reads 7:43am, so I think to myself, "Great, we must be close to the airport, it's been about 2 hours." At this point, we are off the highway, and venturing down urban city streets, so my instinct tells me that surely Berlin's Tegel Int Airport is just around the corner...

7:44am: I noticed a Burger King, and ask Juls if we have enough time for a nice American breakfast. We decide against it, and wait until we get to the airport.

7:45am: Suddenly, the driver gets on his mobile phone, speaks to someone in Polish, then stops and turns the car around!! Now we are all freaking out! The driver had been driving in the wrong direction for about 30 minutes... Now we turn around, re-trace our tracks thru side streets and rural farmland back towards the highway.

7:55am: The driver has remained calm, and is in no way trying to make amends for his mistake. The guy was "putt-putting in the far right lane". Juls, Lucas and I realise that at this rate, we may actually miss our flight. For international flights, we must check-in 45 minutes before our scheduled departure time, so that gives us until 8:40am... we still have 45 mins, but really, we have no idea where we are, and we are all starting to feel like the driver is in "La-la land" and doesn't have the first clue either!

8:02am: We finally see our first highway sign, reading "Tegel" with the little airplane picture alongside. This relaxes us a bit, and gives us hope.

8:12am: 10 minutes go by, and although we have seen the "Tegel Airport" sign, we are still in the middle of nowhere, and haven't seen one plane flying overhead. Worry sets in.

8:15am: The intensity inside the taxi mounts. Juls and I are now on the seat's edge, our heads hovering in the front seat along with Lucas, trying to get this driver fired up, and somehow get him into fifth gear!! He doesn't speak a word of English or Spanish, so we use sign language, pointing to the clock and saying "Flight, Aeropuerto, Rapido Fast, 9 O'Clock", encouraging him to go faster, while pointing to the cars that are still cruising by us on both sides, hoping he might follow their lead!! At one point, I even suggested that I take over behind the wheel. I mean, this guy couldn't even Drive Miss Daisy!!

8:20am: Lucas is hilarious, mumbling in Spanish about how bad the driver is... Juls is stressed, and yet still laughing his face off @ Lucas. I am literally patting the driver on the shoulder, coaching him on how to drive. For some reason, he only likes to speed up while we are going around sharp turns, almost putting the Soccer Mom van up on 2 wheels, so I try to tell him go fast ONLY when we are going straight.

8:32am: We finally arrive to Tegel Airport. We have 8 minutes to make check in. Never having flown from Tegel before, nobody knows which Terminal we are leaving from. Berlin's Tegel is a huge Airport, with 4 terminals: A, B, C and D.

8:33am: Driver, waiting for instruction from us, goes into the airport and ends up turning around and exiting the airport altogether by accident.

8:34am: Driver U-turns around, and drives hesitantly back into the airport, as we read the airport signs. I am on the phone, calling Blue Air Airways (A very good low-cost Romanian Airline), asking the agent which terminal they are in. I’m on hold of course, she is checking!!

8:35am: With only 5 minutes left, we can't wait any longer, and we must guess, taking a 50/50 shot!! Still on hold, I hang up the phone. Left leads to Terminals B and D. Right leads to Terminals A and C. We go Left!!

8:36am: Juls and Lucas run in to check if we make the right choice! They disappear into the airport. Moments later, Juls comes running out screaming, "It’s Here!! Go to Gate 4!!!" We are so lucky! We give a quick, fake "Dzienkuje" (thank you in Polish) to the driver, and sprint for the gate.

8:36:30am: I take all 3 boarding passes, and sprint full speed to the check-in counter, sweating and out of breath. The flight agent is laughing @ me. I smile and then relax, when she tells me that we made it just in time!

8:38am: Juls and Lucas come running, bags hanging off their shoulders and dragging behind them... sick team work!

8:40am: After we all checked in, I notice a small breakfast kiosk, and decide to give it a shot, I’m starving. To my surprise, they have the freshest German pretzel I've ever had, and we all grab breakfast there (nice reward after a stressful morning). Looking back, it was a good idea that we passed on Burger King!! We made our flight, we got a nice fresh breakfast, and not a second to waste. Just another wild adventure on the Tour!! Never a dull moment, even in the taxis!!

Ironically, after playing doubles together last week in Szczecin, Poland and enduring the adventurous travel experience together en route to Bucharest, Lucas and Jean-Julien will be facing each other in the 1st Round this week. Let's see who will be able to recover quicker from that crazy travel adventure!! It should be an interesting match-up!

I'd also like to make a quick shout out to my hometown Boston Sports Teams. Nice to see Tom Brady back in action for the Patriots, despite last week's disappointing loss to the lowly Jets. I am confident Brady and The Pats will bounce back in the coming weeks. And the Red Sox are looking strong down the stretch. I hope they can save some magic for October!

Next week, I will be back @ you live from Asia... don't know what topic I will be covering just yet. Let's just wait and see what happens between now and then! Until then, play hard, have fun and enjoy the adventure. And make sure your taxi driver knows where he's taking you.

Peace, JC

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:04

Doubles Vision - A Day In Metz

by Rogier Wassen
Metz, France

Doubles vision 15bce1204c644853a345622
© ATP
Rogier Wassen and Christopher Kas rejoin forces this week in Metz.

Spend the day with Rogier Wassen and German partner Christopher Kas at the Open De Moselle in Metz as the Dutchman provides a look at their routine in our new Doubles Vision blog.

Metz is one of the few tournaments during the year that is close to home, that makes travelling really easy and pleasant for us because we are more flexible, and we can take our own car. For both of us it takes about 3 hours from our homes in the Western part of Germany. We both went individually and arrived on Sunday, one day before the tournament started. I took my long time coach Geert with me, who has been my coach for over 20 years now. This is very seldom in our sport, so I have to say I am proud of this. Christopher (aka Kasi) came here with his wife Maria and two-year-old daughter Kimi.

I want to report about a regular practice day on an indoor tournament. Of course every day is different in a life of a tennis player, but this is how our practice days the last few days have been going. The practice days on an indoor tournament usually start very early. The reason for this is that the most of the indoor tournaments only have two match courts on site; therefore we decided to get up at 6.30 am this morning because practice times are hard to get on the main courts. Although the Metz tournament offers us great off site practice facilities, we still prefer to hit on the match courts. Therefore we went practicing from 7.45 till 9.00 am. After cool down and a quick shower we went back to one of the best hotels in Metz, and took a second breakfast. The breakfast in our hotel this week, a four star in the middle of the center of the beautiful city of Metz, is open until noon so we used this.

After a short nap Kasi and I went back to the site early in the afternoon, to do a 45 minute gym session, where usually everybody does his own individual fitness program. After this second practice of the day, I went for a short treatment with the ATP physiotherapist Hugo Gravil, and Kasi enjoyed the Jacuzzi with his daughter. Beside the good fitness facility the tournament also provides a renewed relaxation area including Jacuzzi and a sauna. Around three o’clock we enjoyed a full lunch buffet in the player’s restaurant in the Metz Arena.

After lunch we go part ways because Kasi wants to take the opportunity to spend as much time as possible with his family. For them the central location of the hotel is ideal. Today he went to the park, near the hotel, where Kimi enjoyed the playground and was able to feed the ducks.

I spend my afternoon differently; I stayed in my hotel room, because I needed to study. The ATP has given me a full scholarship at the University of Phoenix, where I am trying to achieve a bachelor's degree in Business. It is a great opportunity offered by the ATP, which hopefully makes the transition after my tennis career easier.

After my study time I enjoyed dinner in the old part of the historical city of Metz, together with my coach. Normally I go for dinner lots of times with my doubles partners, but Kasi could not come. He was busy preparing himself for his NHL Fantasy draft. He is playing in one pool with fellow tennis players like Daniel Nestor, Eric Butorac and John Isner. Talking about Fantasy sports like NHL or NFL is always a big topic in the players lounge because many players are involved, and there is a lot of smack talk going around.

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:05

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:10

Doubles Vision - Planes, Trains & Prison

by Ashley Fisher
At Home, Sydney, Australia

Doubles vision E5c018283bc448d4aa44fea
© Getty Images

Australian Ashley Fisher has no shortage of entertaining travel stories. In our latest Doubles Vision blog, Australian doubles specialist Ashley Fisher reflects on tough times at the Futures and Challenger levels before he cemented his place on the ATP World Tour.

I have just enjoyed a week in Australia doing some rehab on my knee and working on my fitness. As I pack my bags and head to Sydney Airport I am reminded of some of my previous travelling experiences during the past 11 years. Tennis fans often comment to me about how glamorous the ATP World Tour must be. I'll let you read a couple of my stories to draw your own conclusions.

Bastad 1999

After a few months of slogging it out playing ITF Challengers and German Club tennis, I decided to take a week’s vacation at the Swedish Open in Bastad (now one of my favourite events). The week would be vacation because my doubles ranking of 400 and the startling state of my 3 year old Wilson Sledghammer racquet made it difficult to convince a player to sign in with me. Fortunately, I had some friends in the draw so the six of us piled into one hotel room. Despite the luxurious accommodation, Sweden in the summer it is not particularly conducive to getting a good night’s sleep. The sun goes down at 10pm and comes up at 3 am, just before my return home from engrossing myself in local culture. Bastad is notorious for being a party town so I figured it would be disrespectful to visit without seeing what all the fuss was about.

I ended my week with a wedding in Stockholm just hours before my 6am Sunday flight to Frankfurt for my next event. As I staggered onto the pleasantly empty flight I decided to take advantage of a full row of seats in the back of the plane. Just moments into the flight, I had my seatbelt off and was sprawled across three seats fast asleep. Perhaps it was turbulence or a dream about dancing at the wedding but somehow during the course of the flight I rolled off the seats onto the ground. In my hibernated state, I slept through the landing and was missed by the flight attendants and the passengers vacating the plane.

I woke up in an utterly confused state staring at an empty plane not sure if I had even left Sweden. I ventured to the front of the plane and then approached the open door with trepidation. I found myself in the middle of the runway at Frankfurt airport. The other passengers had all boarded the bus to the terminal and I was alone looking at a walk across a busy airport runway. Luckily, I was able to find a baggage handler who kindly gave me a ride to the terminal.

I thoroughly recommend a trip to Sweden in Summer, especially for the Bastad tournament but make sure you take some eye goggles and get a good night’s sleep before you travel.

Croatia/Serbia 1999

This trip did not begin well with the airline losing my bags and therefore nearly all of my worldly possessions in Umag. When I say lost, I do mean gone because to this day they have never been able to figure out where they are. Somewhere, someone in the world is wearing my ITF shirts and playing with my Wilson Sledghammer.

Once in Umag, my doubles partner and I battled our way through a couple of rounds at a Futures event before deciding to hit the big time and try our luck qualifying for a Challenger in Belgrade. We began our journey with a 9 hour train trip, halfway through which our train stopped for four hours in the middle of nowhere so that passengers could exit the train to enjoy a picnic lunch. We would have been happy to oblige this custom had we not foolishly assumed there would be a food carriage on the train. Our lone box of Pringles had lasted only 20 minutes into the trip so we were forced to wait in hunger for the train to resume the long journey. We never did figure out if this was typical for Croatian trains or just a lucky treat for us but we arrived into Belgrade late Saturday night. We took to the court Sunday at 1pm ready to qualify for our first ATP Challenger. Unfortunately, our opponents had a different idea as we were soundly beaten, tired and frustrated.

My doubles partner took on the responsibility of getting us onward train tickets. A bit despondent from the loss and frustrated because our credit cards didn’t work, he responded to the question of destination with “Just get me back to the west”. The agent kindly took most of our cash and provided us with train tickets to Germany.

Seven hours into the trip, around midnight, we were woken by the Hungarian Border Control asking for our Visas. I showed them my train ticket, explained that I wanted no part of Budapest and insisted I was headed to Frankfurt. This explanation did not fly so I was apprehended and promptly removed from the train. My doubles partner acted quickly to give me his final ten pounds but did not join me.

I soon found myself somewhat concerned as it had been some time since I had heard any English and I was now locked in a station holding cell. This was pre mobile phone era so the idea of confinement in a Hungarian prison and not being heard from for years seemed like a real possibility. Fortunately, my prison term only lasted a few hours and I was woken at 7am the next day and put on a train headed back for Belgrade. I wasn’t sure this put me in any better position and was now fearful of the prospect of being thrown off the train in rural Yugoslavia. I chose the only strategy I could think of and spent the seven hour trip in several of the train's bathrooms.

I made it safely to Belgrade where I used my ten pounds on a taxi to the airport. The only option with an airline who would accept my Australian credit card was a business class flight to Frankfurt, which equated to a month of my budget but I couldn't reach for my wallet fast enough. With the loss of my bags the previous week, I was still wearing my match gear that had since become my prison uniform suffering the dirt floor of the holding cell. Needless to say my fellow German business class passengers were a little startled when I joined them for a champagne.

Despite these very true travel adventures, I am very fortunate to be able to play on the ATP World Tour and have the opportunity to see beautiful cities each week while staying in five star hotels. Knowing what I had to endure to get here makes me appreciate my lifestyle that much more.

Thanks for reading guys!

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:14

Doubles Vision - Vemic Moonlights As Waterboy

by Dusan Vemic
Bucharest, Romania - Otopeni Airport

Doubles vision 443637bba3eb4254879ecd3
© Getty Images
Novak Djokovic is just one of 13 players Dusan Vemic has partnered this season.

In our latest Doubles Vision blog, doubles player Dusan Vemic looks back on his successful new role as waterboy during Serbia's Davis Cup tie last week, and advises not to follow his lead when it comes to playing partners.

Being one of the chosen ones to share the experience on many tennis professionals on the ATP World Tour is, you can really say, an honour.

I don't really know where to start from at this point, as there is not really the beginning of this amazing tennis journey, so let me start from this season, 2009.

I believe my year has been a year of a top 50 (doubles) ATP player with the most partners on tour this year (13)?!

I have to say one thing, for the up and coming players, avid amateurs, 2.5 players: DO NOT CHANGE PARTNERS ON A DAILY BASIS !! Take it from me, as this has been one of the worst seasons, result-wise I have ever had.

It is so difficult getting things in sync with your partner when you play only for the first time.... I have played on the deuce side of the court, on the ad side of the court, served and stayed back, served and volleyed, played the "I formation" ( for those that might not know, the "I formation" is when your partner serves and you squat under the net giving a different look to your opponents. usually if it is played right, throws opposition out of the rhythm) with my partners, You name the option, I have tried it!

The good side of the lifestyle is that each tournament has better organisation, and you are really well taken care of during the tournament.

Let’s take this week, playing in Bucharest: Arrived at the airport, got picked up by an official transportation car, a really pleasant driver gave my sister Jelena ( who is my personal professional photographer and a best friend) and me a ride to the five-star hotel, where rooms are comped by the tournament for as long as you are still alive in the tournament.

At the site we are also provided with meals, snacks, fruits, drinks (non-alcoholic), usually a good size players lounge that usually has a bunch of computers, and some form of entertainment (video games, pool table, foosball, table tennis).

And during the off days you mostly have two options, either to rest and practice (more likely option), or go around the city you are in, visit museums, do the sightseeing tour (less likely option).

You know, I have to say, I actually had a fun week home. I started with a new job for a week. I was a Waterboy. And I have to tell you, it was not all that bad at all!! Smile

Lucky me, as none of the teammates was too thirsty or hungry. They were all just mostly hungry for practice, as 3 out of 4 guys were recently hurt for a while at least. I also stole a doubles trick or two from Nenad Zimonjic (who together with Dani Nestor leads a race to the "Barclays ATP World Tour Finals" in London). I was pleased with that. So I was really happy to provide tennis service to them.

At the end of the day, everyone that knows me know that Dusan Vemic stands for Solid, Conservative, very technical tennis player!! That was exactly what I have provided during the days leading to the play-off tie against Uzbekistan (Serbia won 5-0).

So the team was very pleased with me, so I am sure that I will be invited for the next Davis Cup against the U.S.A. from 5-7 March at home (if the Waterboy place stays open, as I am sure that now everyone will want it!!).

By the way, I am sooo happy that Serbia finally has a chance to show their skills in front of the local crowd and plays home! And I am sure that, as we have always been known to be a good host team, we will chose the slowest clay possible!!!!!

Thank you very much!
cheers for now
Dusan V

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:18

Doubles Vision - The Fast & The Furious

by Johan Brunstrom and Jean-Julien Rojer
Bucharest, Romania

Doubles vision 71a025387da941868133401
© ATP
Johan Brunstrom and Jean-Julien Rojer have advanced to this week's Bucharest doubles final.

Hello everybody, this is the tandem of Brunstrom/Rojer blogging to you from the BCR Open in Bucharest, Romania. My name is Jean-Julien Rojer (my friends call me “Juls”). I’m 28 years old and come from a small island in the Caribbean called Curacao, which forms part of the Netherlands Antilles. I’m joined by my partner Johan Brunstrom, 29 years old and he hails from Fiskebäckskil, Sweden. Johan goes by “Brunny,” “Bruno,” “Viking,” whichever you prefer.

Being that this is our first time blogging, we decided to make this an introductory edition where we will discuss a little bit of ourselves, so that you can get to know us better. We will talk about some of our differences and how we make our partnership work. A few months ago we celebrated our “one-year anniversary,” so we now feel that we can talk about sensitive subjects without bruising one’s ego.

Juls: I first met Johan at the beginning of last year at a Challenger event in Miami. I still thought he was a pretty good player so I decided to ask him if he would like to play some in the future. He was at first hesitant (for good reason) but I finally got the honor in Spain where we teamed up for the first time and took the title in the Pozoblanco Challenger. At the time when I asked Brunny to team up with me I was only looking at his tennis skills not realising that we would both have to adapt ourselves to each other’s culture and accept our differences to make this work.

Brunny is very laid back (off the court), soft spoken and well mannered, which means that I have to do the dirty work. I am the “Negotiator” in our relationship. I am constantly arguing with taxi drivers, with hotel receptionists over room availability, with flight attendants over excess luggage, etc. I always seem to be getting in trouble while Johan stands a little ways back listening to everything with a smirk on his face keeping his “good guy” image intact. According to Brunny I am more suited for this since I know more languages and have a “South American” upbringing, whatever that means.

On the court it’s a different story. Brunny is the one that brings the energy and intensity and seems to have a bit more of a temper. His laid-back demeanor changes as he transforms into this beast with otherworldly grunts that I have to admit crack me up sometimes. It’s a lot of fun playing this way, though, because we have a lot of energy and excitement on the court. He is a great competitor and gets frustrated when things don’t go our way. Once in the Challenger event in Braunschweig the media referred to us as “The Fast and The Furious,” which I thought a very accurate way of describing our personal attributes on court.

Brunny: Even though our backgrounds differ, our lives took similar paths when we both made the decision to go to college in the U.S. The first time we REALLY met was when my university SMU (Southern Methodist University) defeated Juls´s UCLA team in the 2001 NCAA championship. He seems to have a very vague recollection of this encounter for some reason.

I was pumped to play with him but was not expecting to be thrown into a circus. Juls is best described as a crazy-haired-chatterbox, always with a laugh/joke around the corner. There’s a lot more to a doubles partnership than hitting tennis balls. It happens quite often that we stay together in the same hotel room to have as many nights as possible paid for by the tournament. This way if we were to lose early we could still stay a couple of days for free and practice while we wait for the next tournament to begin. What others fail to realise is that sharing a room with my partner means putting up with countless hours of cheesy romantic Spanish love songs and him trying to convince me that I need some of this in my life.

A big part of rooming with somebody is being considerate of each others sleeping habits. We are pretty good at going to bed around the same time but then our different cultures get in the way when its time to rise and shine. I consider breakfast to be my favorite meal of the day while Juls sometimes has his first meal around lunchtime. This means that I find myself tiptoeing back to the room or sometimes taking a book with me to breakfast and waiting outside in the hallway so I won’t wake him up.
As slow as he is waking up in the morning, it seems like he saves energy for when he gets on court. He is a touch player, quick and very agile. I believe our biggest strength on court is that we leave our egos at the door. We communicate well on court and have a common goal that we strive for trying to reach the end result at all cost.

Well guys that’s all for now, we hope that you enjoyed getting to know us a little better. Until next time!! Take care and be good.

- Juls and Brunny

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:22

Doubles Vision - Stepping Out Of The Shadows

by David Martin
Metz, France

Doubles vision 66410631e04d492db869479
© Getty Images
David Martin is loving Metz this week.
American David Martin is basking in the attention being heaped on doubles players this week in Metz.

The doubles player on the ATP World Tour hovers between two opposite poles from week to week: to some, he is an artist, praised for his dedication to a specified craft and lauded for his skill that brings a freshness and cleverness to the game; but at other times were feel under appreciated.

Luckily for us here at the Moselle Open in Metz, France this week, the doubles matches are getting strong support from the fans. For example, Yves Allegro and I lost a tough match-tiebreak in the first round, but were swarmed by throngs of schoolkids after the match, saying we were their favorite players. In truth, I think they just wanted a few wristbands or shirts, but it still felt nice to know that we entertained some people, and they had enjoyed watching doubles.

Also in Metz, despite Yves' guess that 80% of the spectators did not know there was a second court in the arena (the court we played on) apart from center court, the seats available were largely full. Two doubles matches have already been played on center court this week, which is almost unheard of for a European tournament to do that before the final, especially an indoor event. Big props to the tournament director!

There are many places where doubles thrives, albeit mostly in the U.S. Indianapolis, San Jose, Delray Beach, and Memphis, among others, are great supporters of doubles, often featuring doubles at night. Doubles also thrives in the Grand Slams, where virtually every match court is packed. Doubles players are often greeted after matches by people saying, "We love doubles, we play doubles, we want to see more on TV!" or " How do you make those fast reactions? It's amazing to watch, and a nice change of pace from singles."

But it’s not always that way. For example, one year at a European tournament I was checking in to get my player credential, and a staff member was having a hard time bringing it up on the computer. "Oh," she finally gasped, "Doble schpieler," (which is an incorrect spelling of the German word for 'doubles player'), and she made it sound like a four-letter word.

Everyone on the ATP World Tour is a tennis player. Some play only singles, some play only doubles, and some play both, but they all add value to the game and the tour. Those who focus only on doubles specialise in a certain brand of tennis, just as singles players do. Perhaps it can be argued that the singles player is more "sexy" in terms of ball-striking and stamina required, but the doubles player often makes up for that in reflexes, net play, and cleverness (although there are doubles guys like Marcin Matkowski who crush the ball too).

With the rules continuing to change to encourage more singles players to play doubles (i.e. shortened-scoring, allowing singles rankings to be used for doubles, etc.), any player making a living in doubles is a flat-out baller. Studies show that singles stars draw sponsors and fans to tournaments, and prize money distribution correctly reflects that; however, some doubles teams have drawing power as well. The Bryans routinely pack out stadiums, Melo and Sa are heroes in Brazil, Paes, Bhupathi, Fyrstenberg and Matkowski, Zimonjic, and others are huge stars in their countries. Heck, even Scott Lipsky and I were a nightcap match in LA, which is our home area.

I'm not arguing that doubles is better than singles or the other way around. They work together for the good of tennis. Doubles is simultaneously a great contrast and a great complement to singles; almost different games, but the two together add to the richness of the sport. One is a war of attrition and gaining ground, the other a fast, high energy game of reflex and cunning. As Mike Bryan said, (or maybe it was Bob...sorry guys) "When I go to the zoo, I want to see the lions, but I also want to see some tigers and bears too." Singles and doubles together provide variety.

Luckily, the doubles component of the ATP Tour is as good of a product as it's ever been, filled with compelling teams and individuals: we have perhaps the most dynamic and infectiously energetic team to ever step foot on the doubles court in the Bryan twins; maybe the quickest footed and handed player ever in Leander Paes; gritty Aussies like Ashley Fisher, Jordan Kerr, Stephen Huss, and Paul Hanley; crafty artists like Knowles and Buphati; teams of giants in Nestor-Zimonjic and Norman-Moodie; guys with big hair like Julien Rojer; and Americans who think they are Italian like James Cerretani. What's more, you've got a hungry bunch of guys coming up looking to unseat them all!

Rather than simply being called "doubles players," which implies something 'other' and regardless of whether it leads to praise or scorn, these guys, along with "singles players," are tennis players, who add to the richness of tennis and to the ATP tour.

So people ask me, "Are you a doubles player?" Well, yes and no. I am a tennis player who happens to be making a living in doubles...and damn proud of it." (ça c'est surbon!!!!!!!)

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:27

Doubles Vision - Ticket To Ride

by Colin Fleming and Ken Skupski
Metz, France

Doubles vision 08cb9854633b49fa9996b55
© ATP
Colin Fleming catches up on some sleep while travelling to a new tournament city.

British duo Colin Fleming and Ken Skupski reflect on the challenges of travelling in their Doubles Vision entry ahead of their successful title campaign at the Open De Moselle in Metz.

Travel days are not so bad if you have the luxury of first or business class. As an up and coming pair we still try to find the cheapest tickets in the cattle section. Flying with one of the major low cost airlines isn't great but getting from A-B is all that we care about, especially if its a short trip like ours this week from Liverpool to Paris and then onto Metz. Most low cost airlines have very early or extremely late departures. We decided this week to take an early flight and a 5am wake up call was not appreciated.

Arriving at the airport and saying our goodbyes is never easy but its a way of life for most tennis players. Going away for a few days isn't so bad this time. Checking in is always fun. Having to pack everything into one bag and be under 15-20kgs isn't as easy as it might sound. I think British Universities are now offering degrees to help people deal with this weekly issue! I have mastered this problem a long time ago but you still can never tell if the bag weighs less than required. I feel a sense of accomplishment when the scales show the bag is worthy of a tag. My mind does somersaults as the airline rep goes ahead and hands back my passport and a boarding card. Its never nice to wave goodbye to family or friends but it's the same feeling when you see your bag go down the belt and out of sight potentially for the last time.

Airport security is annoying but also very important. In the world we live in we have to respect the procedures they enforce at airports. The only problem is they have different rules not just in different airport but on a daily basis in the same airport. Why can you one week travel with racquets on a flight and the next they are forcing you to recheck your tennis bag. A little issue like this is just frustrating. You can or you cannot, make your mind up please!

As a frequent flyer like we all are it's important to try to sleep as much as possible on flights. Passing the time away is crucial. Reading, listening to music or watching DVD's are good but sleep cannot be beaten in my mind when travelling. Nothing beats a good aisle row with the chance to stretch out the luck leg. We certain don't know what it is like to turn left as we enter an aircraft. Most flights we travel on don't even have a left turn. You always try to charm the steward or stewardess for the chance to be moved closer to the front. This is especially more common on a long haul flight. This still hasn't worked for us so far, but we do not intend to stop trying.

Arriving to find your bags is a relief that is unrated until you lose all your belongings. I've never been unlucky enough to lose all mine but fingers crossed I make it back home this week with everything I own.

Travelling on the Paris Metro is a pain in the neck. I am not very good with languages and French is certainly one of my weaknesses. Colin and I run around like headless chicken for about 15 minutes trying to find the right connect which will end our misery on the underground system. The early morning travel without breakfast is starting to get to us both. Frustrated, hungry and tired we manage to find the train we are looking for. We already have our tickets for the last train so we decide its time to sit and relax to enjoy a late breakfast at one of the main stations in Paris before our onward train journey to Metz.

We board our final train at around 12.30pm and sit in what we would consider very comfortable seats. We sit back relax and enjoy the journey. I think we both manage to get some more sleep on route to Metz before being woken by the train manager. He asks for our tickets and we presented him our two one way economy class tickets to Metz central station. He wasn't too please to see us sitting in his luxury first class seats. He was not impressed and almost ordered us to pay double what we had just paid hours earlier. We looked at each other puzzled. We entered the train in coach 15 and decided to turn LEFT! Little did we know first class was still LEFT!!

Cheers
Flemski

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyLun 28 Sep 2009 - 20:28

Cool Cool Cool :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

je me rends compte que ça fait de la lecture :laugh: en plus ça interessera pas forcement si vous connaissez pas les joueurs mais honnetement ça vaut le coup Wink

j'vais commencer à me dire que c'est un machin britton d'en avoir rien à foutre des photos dossiers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyMar 29 Sep 2009 - 16:44

Doubles Vision - All In A Week's Work

by Stephen Huss
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Doubles vision B4aa6ea2cb3a49a4b59a391
© Getty Images
Ashley Fisher and Stephen Huss defeated the Bryan brothers to reach the Sony Ericsson Open final.

In his second Doubles Vision blog, Australian Stephen Huss reflects on a hectic 10 days of travelling and miss-identification, that saw him and Ashley Fisher go from a first-round loss at an ATP Challenger Tour event in Jersey to the final of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami.

Most people have heard the saying, ‘A week is a long time in sports’. Well this old cliché applies to tennis as well, as the following will illustrate. Ashley Fisher and I left a tournament in Sunrise, FL on Sunday evening and flew from Miami to play in a $50,000 ATP Challenger Tour tournament on the English Channel island of Jersey, as we did not think we had a chance to get into the big event going on in Miami.

We did not exactly live up to our No. 1 seeding in the tournament when we lost our first round match 7-5, 7-5. At dinner after our loss I decided to message my good friend Ross Hutchins to find out what was happening at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Miami. He told me that the doubles sign in was weaker than expected and that Ashley and I should sign in. We were under the impression that we would not be allowed to play, it’s usually one tournament per week and we had lost on Wednesday so it’s not like we could get another shot at it on Friday right? Wrong… Miami is a two-week event so we were allowed to play two events during that time.

We had a nervous wait until sign in closed and ended up being the last team into the event on ranking. So it was straight onto Expedia.com to buy a flight back to where we had come from three days earlier. The good news was that we had gone from a 50k event to a $4.5m event all because of a loss in the first round.

While making our arrangements for transport in Miami I was asked which hotel we were staying at; this had yet to be confirmed so the person asked me if they could contact my agent to which I replied, ‘I am my agent’. This was the first in a line of miscommunications between the tournament and us. Miami is used to having huge stars in their tournament that have their own entourage. Ashley and I, being the last team into the event, did not really fit this stereotype.

Our last-minute arrival meant that hotel rooms were scarce so we were forced to share a room with one of us sleeping on a fold-out couch, but we did not care, as we were so happy to be there. We arrived to the courts on lovely Key Biscayne on Friday morning and went promptly to pick up our accreditation. They took one look at us at the desk and we were told that they did not do ATP alumni accreditation there; I replied that we were players. The lady then told us emphatically that we misunderstood and that her desk was for the people actually playing in the tournament! It was understandable, as even Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray who had played in the previous week’s finals in Indian Wells had probably been the last ones to arrive there around Tuesday, three days earlier. We were also too late to be assigned a locker so I had to carry my bag everywhere I went onsite.

We played our first-round match on Sunday against Marat Safin and Paul-Henri Mathieu, winning handily 6-4, 6-2. Next up was Parrott-Polasek, a team that Ashley had actually been coaching earlier in the year as he was recovering from a knee surgery. We won a very close match 7-6, 7-6 and found ourselves in the quarter-finals.

That afternoon I engaged in a conversation with one of the friendly van drivers who transported me from the courts back to the hotel. We talked about Australia, different sports and life in general. As we neared the hotel he innocently asked me, ‘So, whom do you represent?’ He thought I was an agent. Apparently Ashley and I were still not making a dent in our anonymity.

The next day I was talking in the locker room with Mike Bryan, who told me that he and his brother, Bob were staying in a huge suite at the Four Seasons Hotel. I told him Ashley and I were sharing a room and alternating nights sleeping on the fold-out couch. He had a chuckle but then said, ‘Hey whatever’s working right?’ I had to agree.

In the quarter-final we won a match tie-break against Cermak-Mertinak and moved on to face the Bryans in the semi finals. We were getting pumped for the match in the locker room, Fisher with his red bull and me with some visualisation when we were called for our match. As we exited the locker room in full match gear, racquets over our shoulders and trailing Bob and Mike by a few feet, I was abruptly stopped by a security guard and asked for my accreditation. The hits just kept on coming!

It’s always fun to play the Bryans, especially in the US, where the crowd really gets into it and the brothers energise the whole court with their intensity and play. Ashley showed his amazing talent and skills to play the best match I have ever seen him play and we beat the No. 1 team in the world 7-6, 6-4.

By now I was feeling pretty good about myself so decided to ask about a courtesy car back to the hotel. I was told that the shuttle would be quicker! Another friendly shuttle driver and another conversation where I told him I was playing with Ashley Fisher and that we were having a good week and a fun time in Miami. His next question threw me a little when he asked, ‘Are you playing with HER at the French Open as well?’ I had to laugh as I knew Ashley was a common girls name in America, but did he really think I was playing mixed doubles in Miami? Furthermore his next comment to me was, ‘Hey did you hear the Bryan brothers lost today?’ I just sat there in stony silence.

The very good team of Mirnyi-Ram in the final ruined the complete fairytale but we gave them a good scare, going down 10-7 in the Match Tie-break. Ten days earlier we had left Sunrise, FL, 32 miles north of Miami and gone to Jersey, England to play in a 50k challenger and lost first round for zero ranking points and $180 before tax. Now as we shared a meal and some drinks at Novocento restaurant on Brickell, we had made the final of a 4.5 million dollar tournament and collected 600 ranking points and more money than the total purse of the Jersey challenger.

No matter what you do in life there may be great rewards just around the corner. An important trait that is applicable to everything and everyone to achieve success is called, PERSERVERANCE. Ashley and I know all about it. The only downer on the day was it was my turn to sleep on the couch…

Respect, Stephen Huss

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyMar 29 Sep 2009 - 16:46

AH JE ME SUIS TAPEE UNE BARRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ah mais la putain de loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! comme quoi etre joueur de double pas trop connu du public c'est trop la merde (l'histoire de l'accredit et du chauffeur de taxi) à le "I'm my agent" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
l'histoire de la chambre ça me rapelle Jamie et Alan :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyMar 29 Sep 2009 - 16:49

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyMar 29 Sep 2009 - 16:51

Butorac il sait meme pas c'est où Bali :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: comme quoi le mythe les ricains sont nuls en géo est encore d'actualité :laugh: :laugh:

Hutchins j'ai pas compris son film c'etait quoi Suspect
Martin (le blond dans le betisier) il est fort aussi!!!

ça me frustre parce que je peux voir cette vidéo en entière mais celle des backstage de Metz j'y arrive pas!!!!!!!!

Cyrielle

Moderateur
Moderateur
Cyrielle

• Profil •

France
Féminin Localisation : Metz

Membre n° : 13

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyVen 2 Oct 2009 - 18:22

Merci Nenya !! Very Happy

J'ai pas eu le courage de tout lire... Par contre les vidéos sont sympas. :laugh:

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyVen 2 Oct 2009 - 19:49

:laugh: nan mais je comprends ça fait beaucoup à lire Wink
c'est bon maintenant Butorac= c'est où Bali? :laugh: :laugh:

les coulisses de Metz j'arrive toujours pas je vais aller chez quelqu"un pour la voir si ça continue :na:

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyVen 2 Oct 2009 - 20:41

Doubles Vision - Bangkok Market Hutchins and Tecau

(crédits: atpworldtour.com )

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2009/10/Doubles-Vision-Bangkok-Market-Hutchins-Tecau.aspx

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyVen 2 Oct 2009 - 20:53

même en marchandant chuie sure t'as payé plus cher que ce qu'un thailandais aurait payé :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hutchins il est :laugh:

Cyrielle

Moderateur
Moderateur
Cyrielle

• Profil •

France
Féminin Localisation : Metz

Membre n° : 13

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptySam 3 Oct 2009 - 6:24

NenYa a écrit:
:laugh: nan mais je comprends ça fait beaucoup à lire Wink
c'est bon maintenant Butorac= c'est où Bali? :laugh: :laugh:

les coulisses de Metz j'arrive toujours pas je vais aller chez quelqu"un pour la voir si ça continue :na:

Moi non plus ça marche pas, ça s'arrête toujours à 1 m 24 et puis plus rien... bof

Adeline

Administrateur
Administrateur
Adeline

• Profil •

Espagne
Féminin Localisation : Paris

Membre n° : 1

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptySam 3 Oct 2009 - 15:45

Même pas j'peux le tacler moi aussi j'suis nulle en géographie mais :laugh:

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptySam 3 Oct 2009 - 16:00

oué mais tu sais au moins quel pays se trouve dans quel continent quand meme :laugh:
Bali c'est pas en Europe :laugh:

ah bah je pensais que le probleme venait de ma connexion mais non :/
oué ça s'arette à Petzchner (que je saurais jamais comment ça s'ecrit)

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptySam 3 Oct 2009 - 16:18

Doubles Vision - The Happy Islander & The Worried Viking

En route from Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo

Doubles vision Ea9364ce2d1a4f0fba71007
© Juls Rojer
Things look up for Johan Brunstom on his first visit to South America in early 2009.

Compromise is an essential part of any doubles team. But how did 'Worried Viking' Johan Brunstrom fare when he accompanied South American native Jean-Julien Rojer during the Latin America swing?

Hello once again everybody, it’s the tandem of Brunstrom/Rojer blogging to you from an airplane going from Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo. We are here looking back on the crazy schedule that we have played so far this year and wanted to share some of it with you. Last time we talked about the importance of us both making sacrifices for the better of our team/relationship. When we sit down to plan our schedules together this is exactly what we find ourselves doing since we both would like to play closer to home.

So where do we start the year? The answer: South America (Sao Paolo, Brazil to be exact) with one happy islander and one worried Viking.

Juls
Probably goes without saying but I was the one pulling for South America when we were discussing our schedule. I wanted to play there in the beginning of the year being that it’s closer to home (Curacao). When I ran this idea by Brunny he looked at me as if I was crazy. I was telling him all the positive things of playing in South America (sunny, beaches, good food) but for some reason he didn’t seem to agree with me; he had more of a worried look on his face. Then I come to find out that the Swede has never made a trip to South America before, further explaining the look of wanting mommy by his side.

After being bombarded with questions of whether it was safe or not and whether we can leave our passports/wallets in the room or not, we finally made the trip to Brazil in the first week of January. Brunny looked like a walking ATM machine in South America being that he was the tallest one there and has blond hair with clear eyes. I never would have imagined that he would be so famous and loved as he was in S. A. Everybody wanted a piece of him: the taxi drivers, the people on the streets selling jewelry - everybody seemed to warm up to him. We ended up playing five tournaments in three different countries in South America: Brazil, Chile, and Colombia.

Brunny
Okay, I had never been to South America. Sure, my original plan was not to spend the first two months of the year there. I’m not going to lie; I had some stereotypes popping up in my head when I thought about traveling in S.A. Ideally, my reaction would have been a mix of excitement for a new challenge and the opportunity to embrace a new culture. Realistically, I was a slightly less enthusiastic, more like cautiously curious of how Juls ended up being the way he is Smile While Juls was trying to brainwash me about great weather, unbelievable food and beaches, I asked him jokingly (with a little bit of truth behind it), what the purpose of having these things would be if you are risking your health/safety. I finally surrendered and thought to myself that those beaches better be good.

In the end I found it quite funny how the “locals” seemed to whine and complain about things more than I did. Complaints about the hotel not being good enough, not having warm water, and no internet. Maybe it’s because I didn’t grow up there but he seemed more paranoid and worried walking the streets than I was, always looking over his shoulder imagining things. One time walking the streets in Chile at night, a dog ran up and barked right next to where we were walking and I have never seen a person ready to abandon a friend as quick as he was.

Juls
We didn’t have the results that we had hoped for during our trip to S.A. We celebrated one challenger title in Chile, but we lost early in the bigger, more important tournaments. We did not play badly, but it was a combination of playing against seeded opponents and a bit of bad luck. However, it was still good to be close to home and see many of my friends in these countries. I ate some of my favorite foods that I don’t get to eat that often and enjoyed the tropical weather. I was now rejuvenated and was ready for the next trip

Brunny
Sometimes when you lose, you really win!! The tennis didn’t go so well but as far as experiences go, it was well worth it. I got to see some incredible sites and was shown some local traditions by Juls. We went to a Churrascaria (all you can eat meat restaurant) in Brazil, where I tried chicken hearts for the first time. We also caught some waves on the beach in Bahia, Brazil. I ate some Ceviche in Chile (mixed seafood bowl) and also had fruits sold from the streets in Colombia (this is traditionally eaten with salt and lemon).

I hope you guys enjoyed our S.A. adventure. We made it home safe from the trip and the stereotypes proved to be wrong. Well, we still have a few hours to go on this 7 hr flight to Tokyo on our current trip, so we will try to get some sleep now.

Wish us Luck!! Ciaooo

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyJeu 8 Oct 2009 - 11:58

Doubles Vision - Everyone's A Star In Asia

by Stephen Huss
Tokyo, Japan

Doubles vision F78e47bb707f4c8cbcd5b0a
© Getty Images
Stephen Huss and Ross Hutchins won the China Open title in 2008.

Greetings from Asia, where tennis players are treated like royalty regardless of ranking. I’ll never forget the hospitality at the Masters Cup in Shanghai in 2005, when every player had their own dedicated driver (hello Shu-Ping!). So dedicated, in fact, that one driver stayed in the car all night waiting because a player had forgotten to tell him that he would not be going out again that night and that he could go home. Just part of the service that we receive here in Asia! Thumbs up to the ATP for bringing a 1000 event to China and making the season here a week longer.

At this stage I’m not sure whether I’ll make the cut for the inaugural Shanghai ATP Masters 1000 next week. My partner and I are one team outside the pre-entry cut, so I can either fly to Europe and play in a smaller Challenger or travel to Shanghai and hope to gain entry as one of the six on-site entries. In Europe I am guaranteed to play. When I consider Shanghai, I could be buying a new flight and travelling there for nothing if we don’t make the cut, but I still think it is worth it. I play this game to play in the big tournaments and to play against the best players, so Shanghai will be my destination.

The tour shifts to Asia this time of year and it is undoubtedly one of my favourite places to play. I have played tournaments in Beijing, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai and Tokyo over the years. I find the people very friendly with a peaceful demeanor. I love the local markets that sell just about anything one would want. My bartering skills are not what they should be but it still turns out to be cheap. I enjoy all the fresh juices they serve here; I will often have a Kiwi, Guava, and Watermelon juice with breakfast. Asian food is universally popular and it’s great to eat it on their home soil.

The Kuala Lumpur tournament last week is new to the tour but it was a great week and the organisers should be congratulated. Our hotel, the Mandarin Oriental, was located right in the centre of the city, almost directly under the 462m Petronas Towers that make KL’s skyline instantly recognisable. Next to the hotel was a very fashionable mall with all kinds of shopping and restaurants. A short taxi ride away or a long walk was the area of Bukhit Bintang, where I went several times to check out the markets and to buy some cheap DVDs. On one of the days about eight players raided one of the local places and got foot massages for an hour - a must do for any tourist in the region.

I am in Tokyo this week, one of my favorite tournaments of the year. People here see every player as a star, not just the top ones who are well marketed by the media. The doubles matches here fill the stands and then some, with people peering through and over fences to see a piece of the action. It makes it so much fun to play in front of enthusiastic crowds like the ones here in Japan. There are always photo requests, signatures and sometimes handshakes from the many fans.

Thanks for reading, and wish me luck this week!

NenYa

Moderateur
Moderateur
NenYa

• Profil •

Russie

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision EmptyDim 11 Oct 2009 - 11:50

Doubles Vision - Schedule Dilemmas

Osaka, Japan

Doubles vision Dc9a4939b0ef437e84fea9c
© Johan Brunstrom
Last-minute planning is often necessary for Jean-Julien Rojer and Johan Brunstrom.

Hey there everybody, it's Johan Brunstrom (Bruny) and Jean-Julien Rojer (Juls) blogging to you from the Lufthansa Lounge in Osaka, Japan. We are on a layover about to take our next flight back to Frankfurt. We are both going our separate ways for a week before we join forces again at the ATP World Tour 250 tournament in Stockholm.

In this instance we both know our final destination, but this isn’t always the case throughout the course of the year. It happens often that we have to wait until the last minute to find out what tournament we get into, in a strange way our rankings makes this decision for us. We are not left with much of a choice as to what countries/cities we will compete in.

Bruny:

The first instance that pops into my mind is from the fall last year. Juls and I had done our “research” and were pretty confident that we would get into the ATP World Tour tournament in St. Petersburg, Russia. We had arranged visas/flights and were ready to go. The sign in deadline is usually at 18.00 local time on Saturdays for ATP World Tour events.

I had put Juls in charge as the organiser, to sign us in and get us transportation/hotel since I was best man at my best friend Daniel Klemetz´s wedding. Juls has a lot of good traits but organisational skills are not one of his talents. While Juls is getting us out of trouble, scaring people with his hair, this is where I usually step in. I sneaked out of the wedding right before I was going to have to make a speech, only to find out that we didn’t get into St. Petersburg. Instead we had to play a Challenger and the biggest one that week was in Seoul, Korea.

Now the weaker link was in charge of getting us two flight tickets to Seoul and to sign us into the Challenger, where the deadline differs from the ATP World Tour and instead closes at 12.00 p.m. on Sundays. He got the tickets but he couldn’t get through to anybody for the sign in. I wrote him off thinking he was doing something wrong in his new field as an organiser.

However, when I started to look into it I had no luck myself. I looked on the names of the singles guys playing and sent an SMS [text message] to Matthias Bachinger, asking if he could sign us in. He signed us in, which was very nice of him especially considering that he bumped himself out from being one out of the doubles, a very unselfish move! It’s good to have nice, solid friends on tour.

Juls:

In our sport the higher you are ranked the more selective you can be with your schedule. The ones who are not ranked high enough, like Bruny and I at the beginning of the year, play wherever they get in. It is a clear case of “beggars can’t be choosers”.

Earlier this year, Bruny and I wanted to play our first ATP World Tour tournament of the year in India. When we found out that we didn’t get in, our rankings “told” us that we would be going to Brazil instead. This meant a 12-hour trip to Brazil from Curacao, and an even longer trip for Bruny as he was leaving from Sweden. We arrived late Sunday night for a tournament that would commence the following day.

The next step for Bruny and I was to buy our tickets to Australia since it would be our next destination after we were done playing the smaller Challenger in Brazil. I wanted to wait and see if we got in first, but the “organised” one convinced me that it would be better to purchase the tickets right away (even though we were not yet in the tournament) because the prices would go up. As you can probably imagine, we had to cancel our tickets to Australia because we were three teams outside of the cut. Bruny has a knack for these things.

This led to Bruny and I taking a “vacation” for a few days in Brazil before we headed out to compete in our new schedule that was handed to us by our rankings. This is the way it is when you are working your way up the rankings. I must say though it is quite the adventure not knowing where you are going to be the following week for a tournament, this way you get to go to some countries/cities that you would otherwise never get the chance to visit.

We have gotten better at sitting back and enjoying the ride. They just called us to board our plane so we must go now. After our week off we will be bringing more excitement to you from Stockholm.

Much love!!

Contenu sponsorisé

• Profil •

Doubles vision Vide
MessageSujet: Re: Doubles vision   Doubles vision Empty

Doubles vision

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page : 1, 2, 3  Suivant